Morphex's blogologue (Life, technology, music, politics, business, mental health and more)

This is the blog of Morten W. Petersen, aka. morphex in various places. I blog about my life, and what I find interesting and/or important. This is a personal blog without any editor or a lot of oversight so treat it as such. :)

My email is

I am

An OGG/Vorbis player, implemented in Javascript.

My Kiva bragging page
My shared (open source) code on GitHub

Morphex's Blogodex

Me on Instagram

Zope hosting by Nidelven IT

Morten Petersen on Linkedin

Morten Petersen on Facebook

Morten Petersen on SoundCloud

Morten Petersen on MixCloud

Blogologue on Twitter

Older entries

Atom - Subscribe - Categories

Facebook icon Share on Facebook Google+ icon Share on Google+ Twitter icon Share on Twitter LinkedIn icon Share on LinkedIn

Using a spare-tyre, maintenace of rear axle

So, a few days ago I tried to fix the axle of my bike, which broke off, but not completely.

I have an older bike, broken down, stored here as well, and I took the shield around the cone which guards the ball bearing from that, and hoped it would work.

It did work, for a couple of kilometres. Then the tire started wobbling.

Turns out that shield didn't fit, and the ball-bearing beneath it had been gobbled up into bits.

So, I figured I would instead use the entire tyre from the old bike, and it seems like a good fit.

No description

No description

It had been standing out in the rain etc. though for quite some time, so I disassembled most of the rear axle, cleaned the balls in the ball bearing, put on a good amount of cleaning/lubricant (similar to WB40), and now I'm letting than run off.

No description available

As I'm looking at the tire, I see that it is rated for 70 kgs, and I'm well beyond that, and was at the time that I bought it. I got a bad vibe about those ******* at the store, and it turns out I should have listened more closely to that.

Anyway, I won't be using that tire for long, and I'll be going at a slow pace to keep things safe. It's a useful exercise for me to do this kind of work.

So, I took a break for some food and a cup of tea. It started to rain, I wasn't happy about that, but it turns out the paper becomes water-repellent once it is soaked in oil, and the bits and pieces had water droplets formed on them, which also indicates the oil/cleaner is working.

No description

I guess this cleaning / oil is so thin that it loosens up things, yet it is oily enough to stick and displace water.

I attached the wheel, and it sits well, and looks better after being treated with a bit of that good stuff. Now I just have to get some air into it, and adjust the break pads slightly.

No description

No description

[Permalink] [By morphex] [Maintenance (Atom feed)] [12 Jul 15:46 Europe/Oslo]